Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Train ride to NYC

Since I have joined the army I have been on more flights then I can remember flying back and forth to Oswego for leave, and many flights for training and PCS moves. Made a whole bunch of Road trips, going back and forth from Fort Benning, GA to home; I drove from Oswego, NY to Fairbanks, Alaska, then me and Serenity drove from Fairbanks to Southern Alaska caught the ferry from Whittier to Bellingham, Washington; and drove from there to Fort Benning.
Before the army out of necessity I once rode the Greyhound bus from Florida to Syracuse. One of my more memorable trips for the army was when my unit from Fort Drum flew down to Norfolk, VA and rode on the USS Eisenhower to Haiti, and did the Blackhawk landing in Port Au Prince airfield (September 1994). Mentioning that I have been on more Helicopter rides then I want to remember, Blackhawks, Chinooks, and once I even got to sit in the gunners seat of an Apache. Once for a very brief time I even got to drive a Sheridan tank.
I bring all of these travel memories up because today for the first time I am riding on an Amtrak train, going from Syracuse to Manhatten, NY. This I think is important, because one of my earliest leaders in the army told me to make sure I take the chance to try differant things; which is a lesson I have always tried to pass on to all the soldiers I have known.
NYC is nothing new I have been there a bunch of times, but now I can cross Train ride off the list. So while sometime in the future there may actually be hoverboards like Back to the Future predicted (however I would not try to ride one, Would probably break my ankle again like with the skateboard; Thanks Johnny).
So short of the space shuttle I have now used pretty much all forms of travel, However in the words of the late great Tim Wilson; I would like to know "Where the f**k is my Jet Pack?

No comments:

Post a Comment